Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's gettin serious

So, in the grand scheme of things I'm a pretty new knitter. I don't have any massively complicated undertakings under my belt. I still fear the word intarsia, and colorwork in general does not appear in my resume. But I still retained this weird impression that if I wanted to, I could probably figure things out as needed. A sweater is a sweater (I think to myself, ignoring the weird cackling over my left shoulder that must have been the knitting fates). You knit it in one piece or you knit up all the pieces and slap em together. Done. Maybe doesn't fit so much, but done. (see here) Then this book came into my life:
Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques by Wendy Bernard


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Wow, really great sweaters, really great patterns, and not too many seams. Just too many models wearing sweaters and underwear. What the heck is that about.

View all my reviews >>

I picked it up a few months ago, picked out a few patterns that I liked, even ordered yarn to go with one of them, but I only started it a few days ago, and Holy Crap. I'm starting at completely the opposite end than I thought I was when I cast on. I've provisionally cast on (eek) and passed stitches onto scrap yarn, and picked them up later. And I can totally see the shape of the thing emerging from the knitting even though the instructions as read are like Greek. (It's not that the directions are not clear. They are wonderfully clear and I've yet to make a mistake that wasn't totally my own boneheaded misread. It's just that from reading the instructions, I did not expect to have the shape that I do) It's like a whole new weird knitting adventures. I'd like to state for the record right here, that I'm totally loving this. (Cause tomorrow, who knows where I'll be.) Just goes to show you that knitting is a life long lesson, like anything that's worthwhile. Check on me in a few days and see if I'm still loving my lettuce coat.

No comments: