Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spring News

Garden update: Pine tree gardens have been weeded, and the silver mound, dames rocket and phlox look good. The coral bells and ice plant are currently questionable.
P1010810P1010812P1010811
There's also the mystery bush:
P1010813
Came up on it's own, and I let it live. It doesn't seem to bloom or anything, just be green.

In the upper garden, last week's weeding has allowed the bee balm to flourish, and the strawberries are blooming. Also, the stargazer lilies are coming back. If only I can keep the myrtle from strangling them.
P1010814P1010815

And now for the big news. ThisP1010818is a wood duck box. Been there a few years. A few days ago, while in the shower, I though I saw something sitting on top of it. Our shower has a window onto the back yard which is cool because you can see things while shampooing. However, since I need glasses to see anything past about 6 feet, I pretty much only know "something" is out there, not what it is. Turns out it was a wood duck! He seems to spend pretty much every morning out there. I'm hoping this means he's got a family in that box, but I can't be sure, and I'm afraid I'll scare them off if I go out there and check. Also, I don't want to get too close, so I can't get a good picture. This is the best I can do, through the scope:
P1010827 Terrible picture but wonderful news.

No comments: