Monday, April 12, 2010

Garden Update

The unbelievably beautiful weather continues. I was sitting in the chair at the beauty shop today and had to bite my tongue as I listened to two women complain that it would be only 50 today. Helloooo. This is NE Ohio in April. People are mowing their lawns. This weather is spectacular. In three months these same women are going to be griping that it is too hot. Makes me crazy every time.

Anyway...

The results of name that shoot:


Hyacinth (just regular, not grape.)



Narcissus (at least what I call narcissus.) Oddly enough I got two 3 foot rows of these and only one bloom.


Peony. I have 4 so far.

In addition:

Volunteer tulips. Never planted them, and the place this garden is located was yard when we moved in. It must have been garden long ago, cause now that the ground's tilled up...tulips.

and for our next round of name that perennial (or quick, save me from the aggressive weed I thought was a flower)

1.

2.

3.

I'm very excited by that last one.

So the lower flower beds have been weeded and are ready for compost. The herb section of the upper bed is done as well, and the lemon balm, speedwell, lavender, oregano and thyme are all looking good. The sage, for some unknown reason is still unhappy after the haircut I gave it a few weeks ago, and the rosemary is beyond help I fear.

Yesterday Kate and I planted tomatoes and peppers in the seed starter, mostly for the library garden, I'll let you know when we have something there, and today we planted spinach for Rick. The strawberries are, as yet, a bust.

We'll keep you posted as things progress.
(BTW if anyone is actually reading this, I have no illusions that you actually care about the state of my garden, this is more of a "when did I do that, and what was planted there?" kinda thing for me. In the coming weeks and moths I'll get all confused and need to check back. Trust me.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, that last one looks like pot...

Diana