Saturday, September 5, 2009

What else I missed

So this summer kinda flew past me. Early in August, we went on our second annual Pymatuning Vacation with my husband's whole family and my parents. It was a little less stressful for me this year, as the Bug was a whole year older, but as a family, we added two infants to the roster, so it was kinda nuts. Kate and her cousins (also 3) had tons of fun. We swam in the lake. (By we I mean that I totally let my sisters-in-law go in the cold water with the kids while I sat in a beach chair and took pictures.) We took everyone up to Linesville to feed the fish. If you don't know about this, it's a huge deal at Pymatuning. These carp are born in fishery waters, and therefore can't be fished. There are millions of them, and the gather at the spillway where people throw them bread. It's actually kinda freaky, but a tradition, so we had to do it.
Where the ducks walk on the fish.
We took the kids to a little festival where they got to go in a bounce house.
Up
And down a big slide.
Down This was my first experience with letting my kid go into something without me and actually trusting her to behave and not to freak out. It would not be the last time this summer, and she did very well. (Yes I have let her play at the McDonald's Play Place, and yes, I did have to climb in there and get her the first time, so it doesn't count.)
We also visited the Pymatuning Deer Park where she enjoyed her second pony ride, something she really seems to like, but always wears a very serious face for. We also took the kids on a train ride where Bug enjoyed everything but the noise.
Too Loud
The biggest hit of the trip was the water park. I really didn't want to do this, as I assumed she would be too scared to participate, and there would be a big fight, and tears and lots of public embarrassment. Instead she watched her cousins go down the slide one time, and decided there was nothing bad about that, and all three of them didn't stop sliding for about an hour and a half. They LOVED it, and since there were 5 adults with them at all times, we didn't have to worry about anybody being out of sight or getting hurt. It was great, and I think the thing that cost us the least on the whole trip. Definitely worth every penny. However I was not stupid enough to take my camera to the water park, so there is no photographic evidence.
Then we did something she didn't enjoy quite so much:
sea sick
Last year we rented a nice slow pontoon boat and puttered around the lake. This year the daddies decided that was boring and rented these little boats with outboard motors and took us all the way to the dam. Granted it would have taken a week to get there on the pontoon boat, but the ride in these little boats was not what you would call smooth. Bug and I had to sit in the front to balance out the boat, and we felt it hit every single wave. Trust me when I tell you that I was making the same face she is in the picture.
Despite the teeth jarring boat ride, we had a lovely vacation, and Kate got to spend lots of time with her cousins. What could be better.
Ice cream for 2

No comments: