Saturday, September 5, 2009

Here it is...

Quite some time ago, in my last post, I promised to show you something else that was hiding in my jungle of a garden. So, first the story: Last spring, when we first put in this flower bed, my grandmother gave me some Asiatic Lily bulbs, and I planted them. I didn't however, tell my husband where I planted them, so he tilled up that spot and planted basil. So, goodbye lily bulbs. I didn't really forget about them, but the package they came in was gone, so I did forget what they were supposed to be. Then, this year out of the blue, 4 plant spikes came out of the ground, odd because only three bulbs got planted last year. I guess the hubby divided one of them with the tiller. Anyway, they got these giant buds on them and then apparently entered a time warp, because they froze like that for at least a month. We'd been having a rather cool summer, and apparently they didn't like it. The weeds however, loved it, and I didn't have the time, the energy or the will to clean them out, so the flower bed became a feral jungle, full of weeds trying valiantly to strangle out everything else. Then one day it got warm, and from my living room window I noticed some white and pinkish color in the garden. I thought, "man that clover's out of hand, I should really get out there and weed." And I walked out and found this...
stargazer surprise
And this...
stargazer surprise 2
Holy crap, those are stargazer lilies. The same things my grandmother adores so much she frogmarches the whole family out to see every bloom. And they were just hiding there in my garden. I can't wait to tell her I grew them. I'll leave out the part where I didn't even know they were there. If I pretend to be a real gardener, she might give me some more bulbs like that.

No comments: