Wednesday, June 3, 2009

All the Broken Pieces All the Broken Pieces by Ann Burg


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I love this book, and I love free verse novels. Using such spare language makes every word important and packed with meaning. Burg gives us a very balanced portrayal of the affects of the Vietnam war on a variety of characters: a boy who was airlifted out of Saigon, Veterans returning with physical and mental wounds, men who did not join the service, and families of those who were lost. My only qualm is the fact that every single aspect of Matt's life, from his baseball team to his piano practice has some very strong connection to the war. I want to think this is a little odd, but then, perhaps during that time period, it would not be out of place for a family to know that many people directly affected by the war.


View all my reviews.

No comments: